Yahoo! News

Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines

Boyfriend Of Missing Phoenix Teen Kiera Bergman ArrestedThe on-again, off-again boyfriend of Kiera Bergman, a missing Arizona


8/20/2018 11:10:02 AM

Trump: Mueller’s Russia probe makes ‘Joseph McCarthy look like a baby!’President Trump claimed that Robert Mueller’s investigation into Moscow’s interference with the 2016 U.S. elections is more extreme than Sen. Joseph McCarthy's hunt for Communists in the U.S. government in the 1950s.


8/19/2018 8:32:55 AM

Bishop: Church today 'not the church' of grand jury reportPITTSBURGH (AP) — The bishop of Pittsburgh's Roman Catholic diocese pushed back against a call for his resignation and said the diocese has "followed every single step" needed for responsible action after allegations of child sexual abuse.


8/19/2018 5:49:43 PM

Government to investigate fresh claims of plundering of Second World War shipwrecks in AsiaAn investigation is being launched into claims that up to 10 British Second World War wrecks in Asia have been plundered for scrap metal. Gavin Williamson, the Defence Secretary, said he was "very concerned" to hear fresh allegations that remains of four ships lying off the Malaysian and Indonesian coasts have been looted. It comes after six wrecks, including Royal Navy battleships HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse, were feared to have been damaged or destroyed by scavengers. Altogether the wrecks are thought to be the final resting place for hundreds of Royal Navy sailors and civilians. Remains of the British and Dutch sailors were reportedly dumped by the metal merchants in an Indonesian cemetery.  Mr Williams said the Government "absolutely condemns" the unauthorised disturbance of any wreck containing human remains. "I am very concerned to hear any allegations of incidents of Royal Navy wrecks being plundered in the Far East," he said. "We will work closely with the Indonesian and Malaysian governments to investigate these claims." Family members pay their respects to the 915 Dutch soldiers killed in the battle of the Java Sea at the Dutch war cemetery Ereveld in Surabay Credit: AFP The wrecks of HMS Tien Kwang, HMS Kuala, HMS Banka and SS Loch Ranza had recently been targeted by thieves for their metal, the Mail on Sunday reported. HMS Tien Kwang, a submarine chaser, and HMS Kuala, an auxiliary patrol vessel, were carrying hundreds of evacuees when they were attacked by Japanese bombers near the Indonesian Riau Islands on February 1942. Earlier that month the SS Loch Ranza, a cargo ship, had been set on fire in a Japanese air raid off the Riau Islands and exploded, killing seven men. It came after HMS Banka, a minesweeper, sank after hitting a mine off the coast of Malaysia in December 1941, killing its crew of four British officers and 34 Malay sailors. Chinese-owned barges fitted with cranes have been carrying out the illegal operations, the newspaper reported. Relatives of sailors expressed horror earlier this year at reports that their bodies may have been dumped in an unmarked mass grave in Indonesia. “They have no respect for anyone”, Shirley McGowan, whose grand-father was killed in the sinking of HMS Repulse, told The Telegraph in February. “For them, it is only about the dollars. “These ships are war graves and they should be treated as such”, she added. Looters are said to favour targeting the Second World War-era wrecks because of the ship steel's properties. Built before the advent of atomic weapons, the metal has absorbed little background radiation, making the material suitable for sensitive instruments. Royal Navy battleships HMS Prince of Wales, where Churchill and Roosevelt signed the Atlantic Charter, and HMS Repulse both sank off the Malaysian coast, on December 10 1941. In 2014, the ships, the last resting places of more than 830 Royal Navy sailors, were found to have been damaged by scavengers. Two years ago, the MoD was accused of failing to protect historic wartime wrecks after it was disclosed three British warships, the HMS Exeter, HMS Encounter and HMS Electra, been broken up and removed by illegal scrap metal scavengers.


8/19/2018 12:00:00 AM

Sightings, satellites help track mysterious ocean giantThe sight of a basking shark's brooding silhouette gliding through the waters off western France is more than just a rare treat for sailors -- it is a boon for scientists trying to trace its secretive migrations across the globe. It may be the world's second largest fish, growing to more than 10 metres (35 feet), but the basking shark, or Cetorhinus maximus, is an enigma for scientists eager to help preserve the plankton-eating giant after centuries of overfishing. Hunted voraciously for its massive fin -- highly prized for sharks' fin soup in China -- as well as its oily liver and meat, global populations of basking shark declined precipitously during the 20th century.


8/18/2018 10:22:37 PM

Beautiful shots of diver swimming near sunken ships emergeA series of beautiful shots of divers swimming near sunken ships have emerged. Alex Voyer, 39, was sailing around the Caribbean on a 60-foot boat when he stopped for a dive. The images show  amazing shipwrecks as free divers explore the seabed. Alex, a photographer and free diver, said: “With my girlfriend, Marianne Aventurier, we are sailing all summer around the Caribbean to learn more about sailing.” (Caters News)


8/19/2018 9:29:04 AM

The Taliban Have Taken at Least 100 People Hostage in Northern Afghanistan, Officials SayWomen and children were among those seized during an ambush in the country's north


8/20/2018 12:01:26 AM

Customers Rally After Yelp Reviewer Calls Cafe's Gay Pride Flag 'Disgusting'An anti-gay review on Yelp that called a restaurant in Dorchester,


8/20/2018 3:52:57 AM

Report: Experts knew Genoa bridge had weakened 20 percentGENOA, Italy (AP) — Engineering experts determined in February that corrosion of the metal cables supporting the Genoa highway bridge had reduced the bridge's strength by 20 percent — a finding that came months before it collapsed last week, Italian media reported Monday.


8/20/2018 2:25:17 PM

58 people shot in Chicago over weekend as police hit out at 'cowardly' violenceChicago police have hit out at "cowardly" and "senseless" gun crime after at least 58 people were shot in another violent weekend across the city. Six people were killed from the shootings that took place from Friday to Sunday night, Chicago Police Department (CPD) Superintendent Eddie Johnson said at a press conference. Tom Ahern, the assistant director of news affairs and communications at CPD reported that a three-year-old boy was among those wounded as a result of the shootings from the weekend.


8/20/2018 6:46:51 PM

Top News Stories

The RSS feed is unavailable.